Monday, February 5, 2007

Spinning DNA

Yes, DNA: the new all natural fiber! I was in my biology lab class today and our objective was to retrieve the chromosmal DNA from an E. coli culture. I had done something similar in my first year biology lab, but this process was more invovled and the DNA should hopefully be quite pure. So we did all the mixing and setting and out cae this lovely, bubbly, snot-like residue. hen we had to extract it from the test tube, being sure not to contaminate the "fibers" with the newly separated proteins and such. Once safely transferred, we had to spin it onto glass rods, or spindles as I like to think of them, and leave them out to dry. It's remarkable how the single chromosome of millions and millions of E. coli stick together like the individal hairs of (insert name of favorite fiber animal here). I don't know whether it's nerdy or just obsessive and disturbing, but I really wished that I could knit it up. But i do get to play with it. In 2 weeks it's gel electrophoresis. Hooray!

No comments: