Monday, December 18, 2006

So Many Knit Blogs

So I'm jumping on the bandwagon! I will forwarn you though, I'm not the most faithful of posters, especially once the semster starts up again. Actually the title "Bint Knits" is a bit misleading since I've been crocheting mostly, especially when I need a quick project on a deadline (read "last minute X-mas gifts"). I recently picked up both skills this summer. I'm not exactly sure what possessed me with this urgent need to learn to crochet and knit. I
was in botany class over the summer and I had already been thinking about learning to knit or crochet when we were learning about fungi. We were on the ascomycota reproduction and Dr. Thorne informed us that a particular clump of cells was known as a "crozier formation" meaning hook. Crozier, crochet... I made the link and that day I got out of class, went to B&N, got some books taught myself crochet. About 2 weeks later I wandered into a newly discovered (by me) LYS, Wild Fibre during their stitch-in. I was so shy, I hadn't even tried to make a real project yet, just practice swatches. I'm glad that I joined them. The next week I had finished my first scarf and they 'oooed' and awed sincerely, even though they themselves were making far more spectacular things. It was exactly what I needed to keep me motivated and I've been going ever since. I was the only vanilla crocheter at the time, so I forced myself to learn how to knit a few weeks later. So that's my "origin story". I've been very busy cranking out small X-mas projects these days. I'll post some pics of current projects soon.

No comments: